Sunday, July 10, 2005

Crazy little thing called Love

Even though I don't think you can find topics that get much more reflectual on the human race than diet soda and sneezing ritual, I thought I'd try deeper waters for my next topic of random drivel. Having grown up as a red blooded American male in the modern era, it's ingrained in you from about the age of five that the point of your entire life is to someday fall in love. (When was the last time you saw a popular movie with a happy ending that didn't invlove the guy getting the girl?) Love....... damned, dirty, pain in my fucking ass- LOVE, it's so over-rated it makes me want to vomit. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to finding the right girl someday, but I really don't think that's going to happen (I'll end up settling, like most people do), but even if I do find the girl of my dreams, fall in love, have delightful children, and die happy, I really don't believe that there's half as much substance to romantic love as what's made out to be in our love-crazy culture. My major problem with romantic love is that when it comes right down to it, it's extremely superficial. Think about it, let's assume I do find the aforementioned girl of my dreams. Half the reason she would be the girl of my dreams is that I would connect with her on a deep intellectual & emotional level, that's all well and good. The other half of it, of course, is that I would find her pleasing to look at.... but if she's not pleasing to look at, there's no way I'm falling in love with her, simple as that, end of story. This love thing that's supposed to be at the heart of what it is to be human falls apart when another person isn't physically configured just so...... and ladies, before you start to say that's just how guys are and that women aren't as superficial, ask yourself, when have you ever dated a guy that was shorter than you? (If you have, hat's off, and there's someone I'd like you to meet...). Also, before any of you try to tell me that this is just because I haven't experienced love myself (which is true enough), keep in mind that I'm not saying that I don't believe it's a real thing. I completely acknowledge that there's a profound feeling of intimacy out there that is referred to as love in the English language, and that I may experience this for myself some day. I just don't believe that it's really as meaningful as what it's made out to be. Comments are welcome (whether in agreeance or not)
(Note: for a good example of the fragility of human attraction, check out the movie Vanilla Sky)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, okay....so maybe we are "superficial", but think of what a positive thing that really becomes. On a given day....how many girls do you run into that if you were attracted to all or even some of them....you would be head over heels for? When would you have a chance to get anything done? And how many alpha males would you have to beat down to make your claim? I dare say that you would be completely exhausted and that the whole "love" thing would not feel just over-rated, but extremely boring. The beauty of the lonely process of "finding love" is two-fold. First, you are slowly but surely eliminating these gals with sometimes a "sorry, it's just not gonna work out" or even a "HELL NO" while learning quite a bit about yourself in the process. And second, each girl that doesn't work out...makes the girl that does all the more miraculous. I mean, when you DO find the girl that can make you forget that the world is full of superficial jerks and the one that will not only support your opinions but also be brave enough to break it down to you when your being an ass....I hope you blog about it. Just as sure as there is always a girl at the bar looking for a guy who just wants a piece of ass.....there undoubtedly is a girl who is sick to death of tall men....so tell your short friend to hang in there.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Hey Stephanie, as usual, you have an interesting slant on things (just what I would expect from my eharmony match-ha!-damned eharmony, anyhow). I like your way of thinking of the whole love game as an opportunity to get to know yourself better, very positive, but not tooooo positive. I would like to put in a better comment, but I really need to get on top of some school work. Thanks again for the insights, oh red-haired one.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home