Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Bless Me??? F*%&$ YOU!!!

Here's some more random shit off the cuff for you.... (those of you that know me may be familiar with this rambling, so bear with me). I really hate the convention of blessing people after they sneeze. It's one of those things we've come to do almost instinctually without thinking of it, as it's considered "common courtesy" and everything. For a long time growing up I did do it without much thought, just as I thoughtlessly said 'no thanks' to people thinking it meant "I will not extend my thanks to you", and not "no, but thank you for offering".... anyhow, one day I got around to asking someone (it may have been my fifth grade teacher or my mother) what the deal with blessing each other after we sneeze is and I got the same story as what most of you are probably familiar with.... long ago when people were even more superstitious and uneducated than they generally are today, there was a belief that when you sneezed your soul left your body for a split second, and that left you susceptible to demon possession and such (at least that's the version I heard). Hence, we bless each other to this day...... fucking corny if you ask me. Every time we bless each other what we're really doing is acknowledging how thoughtless and programmable we really are when it comes down to it, like we're saying, "I am going to do my part in keeping alive this convention of society which makes no sense and is totally unnecessary, for the sake of tradition and so that others won't look at me funny and think I'm rude for not blessing them after they sneeze". Total fascist bullshit.... okay, it's not exactly fascist, but you get the idea. So the next time someone sneezes, instead of saying 'bless you', say "Watch out, the demons are coming!!!", and you'll mean about the same goddam thing. I say we do away with sneeze acknowledgement all together. Is it really necessary to respond to each other's sneezes? It's not like when someone trips and falls or something like that, in which case it is totally practical to acknowledge it by asking the person if they're ok and such. In the case of a sneeze, sneezing usually feels rather good, so it warrants no such concern. I personally look forward to sneezing, or maybe that's just because the demons I'm possessed with get happy because more company is on the way.....
Anyhow, the whole "bless you" courtesy can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So as I understand, another story behind the "Bless You" tradition is that your heart stops beating for a fraction of a second while you sneeze? Again, the "Bless you!"...for surviving I guess? It could be just another urban legend, but I was discussing it the other day with my mom, and that's how she always understood it to be. And on a side note- people bless me when I hiccup (which I do sporadically)...because I make them. Ha.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

For some reason this reminds me of the story my dad told me about you at Grandma's funeral. The nuns were standing around her praying and you turned to my dad and asked "Why are they praying? Isn't it a little late?"

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the old sneeze blessing thing.... that's something I've been disenchanted with for many years. Hmmm, let’s see... I have a completely automated response to my environment and you feel compelled to… bless me? Further more you actually think that I should also take part in this ridiculous ceremony when you sneeze. What if I suddenly decided that every time somebody yawned I had to say… “Good luck”, and even went as far as to become insulted if I myself yawned and the schmuck standing next to me on the buss didn’t wish me a hearty good luck. What the fuck? It turns out that in ancient times people thought that when you yawned the Elephant God was going to challenge you to a duel that night when you went to sleep… so of course you want to wish that person good luck right? I mean the elephant god is a tough opponent and… aaah to hell with it.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Genocide- Great insights, ol' chap, nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way towards nonsense customs.
Jane- I'm surprised you remember that little quip of mine at grandma's funeral, but your'e right, it's along the same lines of "What the hell's the point?"
Natalie- If you ever try to make me bless you for hiccuping (or anything for that matter), I will grab the nearest small furry animal and smack you across the face with it.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Christian, I see no need in blessing people for spreading their germs.

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home